Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Power of Yes: A Simple Way to Get More Out of Life

"For much of my adult life I’ve been shackled by fear. I’ve been afraid to try new things, afraid to meet new people, afraid of doing anything that might lead to failure. This fear confined me to a narrow comfort zone. Recently, however, I made a single small change that has helped me to overcome my fear, and allowed me to get more out of life." from http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2007/06/13/the-power-of-yes-a-simple-way-to-get-more-out-of-life/


I can relate to the writer of the words above for I too have been fearful much of my young life. For me it wasn't so much the fear a failure but simply a bad illusion of who i was. I thought I was damaged and bad but lately have come to realize that the one who were damaged were those that put me down for being me. So I'm learning a bit to be me, to accept myself as lame, dumb, unfunny, incompetent as I am and still be okay. For this is simply a lie I've been living about myself and I'm starting to see the real me..

There is a new energy in life though many may not feel it or may not even be aware of it. For most of my life I would always say No to many opportunities. Sometimes it was a good thing but sometimes it simply lead to regret of not having tried something.

A few months back my manager asked me if I wanted to be a trainer at work. I had often wanted to be one and share my knowledge after all being in Aquarius, having information and sharing it, it is right up my alley. But I thought about it and never got back to her, really I just didn't want to tell her No to her face but I was just thinking about how i didn't really want to deal with too much responsibility.

A week or two later they asked me if I wanted to work in another location and I told them No again. Though I don't really regret saying No to these opportunities for at that time I was busy with too much and dealing with family matters, I sometimes think that I'm missing out by having said No.

So today I was given several opportunities and each time my first reaction was to say No, but I changed it up and said Yes. I usually walk back to my work location but this time I said yes to a ride. I took advantage of a ride and I missed getting soaked by the rain.

On the way to my car I was going to put on my rain coat but my manager walked out and offered me a ride to my car. Normally I would say no, but then i figured I might as well say yes. Again I got to my destination without getting soaked. Was this luck, or destiny, or what ever...who knows but just goes to show that saying yes can have a positive impact on your life.

Another opportunity that came to me was doing a photo shoot for a model I know. At first I was a bit hesitant as I have plenty of shots of this person but then I figured it would be a great opportunity to work with my new lenses and lighting and camera. So I said yes to another opportunity.

Opportunity seems to knock on our doors all the time but most of time we don't even hear it. Or if we do we pretend not to hear it and we hide as if we are not home. Yeah it will go away if we just stay quiet and it will go and knock on your neighbor's door...Oh no and guess what it was the guy from the Publisher's Clearning House sweepstakes and he had a check for you but since they couldn't find you, well your neighbor is not a filthy millionaire. Aren't you glad you didn't open the door now. Wouldn't want your life to change, eh.

I'm sure not every opportunity in life will lead somewhere good but then again it doens' have to. There is much to learning in the opportunity itself and that way we are better prepared for future events.

No comments:

Post a Comment