Saturday, August 20, 2011

Living LIFE instead of Thinking LIFE


For much time I've always had a plan for life. I had an outline of what I wanted to do, how I was going to do it, and how it was all destined to turn out.
At this point I can say that none of it has worked out the way I had planned, dreamed, or thought it would. I can honestly say that I have been thinking LIFE my whole life. Not simply living life where you no longer think about what you are going to do and how you are going to do it but simply do what you know how to do whether it works or doesn't you have to realize that you are not ever in control of the outcome. You are only in control of you...to some extent.

Bruce Lee practiced his moves till they became second nature. His kung-fu became a part of him and he no longer had to think about what he was doing, how he was suppose to do it; it just worked. His attacks were lighting quick and very effective because he didn't have to think about things.

Today I took over a co-workers equipment and saw how puzzled he was on how to execute the transfer. In my mind it was easy. Detach the camera from his neck, give to me, and I place camera around my neck. Easy. But he struggled with thinking. It froze him and it took him a while before he took action.

I think that thinking life is like playing chess. You say, if I do this then this might happen or if I do that then that might happen. Instead of just making a move. Sure you might lose but eventually you will become good at losing and eventually you will start to win. Thinking LIFE might be centered around fear of losing what ever we feel we might lose. So we hesitate and contemplate what the right move is.

Taoism teaches us wu wei to simply do what is needed to the best that we can. Letting the outcome unfold by itself the way nature intended for it to. This can be very scary for many people who have always been taught that losing or making mistakes is bad. Its bad if you are attached but perhaps the secret is simply to let go...let go of control...and go with the flow.

WU WEI

No comments:

Post a Comment