Wednesday, September 5, 2012

QUICK WRITE: India Eye

When we first me Mr. Hemingway, we were on our way to New Dehli, where my father was to be made president of the company.  Mr. Hemingway was a nice man, always smiled and always said please and thank you to my mother.  The English had their way and their way had come across India.

So Mr. Hemignway rode with us.  My father told him stories about my brother, when he was a boy and the things he'd do.  He told him about the time my brother fell into a pit of cobras and crawled out without geting bit.  Mr. Hemingway laughed and said that sounded impossible but heaven must have been looking down at my brother for he was lucky to be alive.  Mr. Hemingway had seen what one cobra's bite could do to a man, he could not imagine twenty bites on a small boy.

We didn't have long before we would reach New Dehli and Mr. Hemingway thought it would be a find idea to take a photo of all of us with the city in the background.  My father pulled over to the side of the dusty road and we all got out.  My brother and Mama, Papa and Me holding Mr. Hemingway's hand. 

While we stood staring at Mr. Hemmingway there on the road he was setting up the camera on a tripod and I saw something move behind him.  But before I could tell Papa the snake had bit him.  Death had come to Mr. Hemmingway very easily.   For we see things that happen must be planned out.  So as he laid dying and gasping for air he smiled and said at least I saw New Dehli from afar.

Papa laughed and I could not understand why.  It wasn't till many years later that I realized how much Mr. Hemmingway had seen in his life and his dream was always to go to New Dehli and 

No comments:

Post a Comment