Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Who's the Boss...Right Brain Creator & Left Brain Analyzer

A while back I got a book called Drawing on the right side of the brain by Betty Edwards... http://www.drawright.com/ Which teaches you how to draw by switching access from your left side of your brain to your right. Each side of the brain controls different functions.

LEFT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses logic, detail oriented, facts rule, words and language, present and past, math and science, can comprehend, knowing, acknowledges, order/pattern perception, knows object name, reality based, forms strategies, practical, safe
RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses feeling, "big picture" oriented, imagination rules, symbols and images, present and future, philosophy & religion, can "get it" (i.e. meaning), believes, appreciates, spatial perception, knows object function, fantasy based, presents possibilities, impetuous ,risk taking

Which really explains a lot like why I have a hard time remembering names but I can easily remember faces. It also shows me why I can easily come up with some awesome ideas and have a hard time putting them into action because I'm so right brain dominant. What I lack is paying attention to the details. All the little things that have to be done to get stuff done. I really hate details tool...I just want to fly over things so quickly because I have no patience and I hate slowing down.

As I recall the books states that most activities in life require both modes of thinking, but a few activities require mainly one mode, without interference from he other. Betty says th
e brain likes to cheat, take the path of least resistance whenever possible and it will try to go over new actions and behaviors as quickly possible. The outcome might not be what you wanted. Like attempting to draw Garfield but winding up with stick cat .


The best way to do it is to shift the brain from the left speedy know it all to the slower more tkae your time and concentrate right brain. Betty does this by forcing you to draw upside down that way you trick your mind and it makes the right brain switch.

But I find
my problem is switching off the right brain (the Dream Maker) and getting the left brain (the Executor) started to focus on the details and get the job done. This leads to a lot of stuff that doesn't get done, a lot of procrastination, a lot projects half finished or never even begun, but worse yet Apathy.

But there is also a way to shift from the right brain to the left and that's simply ordering yourself to do it out loud. Since using words and language is a Left Brain function, by simply ordering yourself to get up and wash the dishes, or get up and wash your clothes, run a mile, pay your bills, etc...then you have just walked out the dream world of your right mind and into the real world of your life left brain. I have done this many times and never realized this until now. Many times I would simply yell at myself to get started and I would get started somehow. What I was doing it simply switching off my creative right brain and kick starting my reality left brain. Pretty cool huh..the yin and yang thing at work.

I think I might be able to actually find a sense of balance between both sides of my life, the dream world and the real world; where things require action to be done.

If you were wondering. Women tend to be more left brain and men are more right brain...Men sense a situation and takes action intuitively
(though his responses may be very restricted). He does not go through a long internal verbal process in choosing his path - he reacts, knowing it is right for him to do so.

As a woman, on the other hand, will have long debates in their head before they make a decision or take some action. Such internal thinking and debating are left brain activities. You can read all about it here...http://www.helpself.com/brain.htm

The Right Brain vs Left Brain test ... do you see the dancer turning clockwise or anti-clockwise?


No comments:

Post a Comment