Sunday, August 8, 2010

"Didn't know I had it in me...eh"

Image via Wikipedia
Last Tuesday my truck broke down about three miles from my house and I guess I was lucky since I work seventeen miles away.  But it was midnight and my radiator hose came undone and my truck just stopped and smoke was coming out of the hood.  SHIT.  What to do now.

I am not a member of AAA but I am considering it now and I had no one to bail me out on this one as my parents are old and my sister is pregnant so it was something I had to tackle on my own.

You don't really realize how strong you are until a crisis comes along then your strengths really come into play.  Working day in and day out at a job where nothing really changes and most of the time my strengths and abilities go under utilized to the point where I forget what I'm capable of.

So I stayed calm (a strength); first rule in a crisis is to remain calm.  Then i just came up with the plan (another strength).

Walmart was about a mile away.  I figured I could walk there in the dark hoping not to meet up with Jason or Freddy Kruger and I could buy some coolant take a cab back to the car and filler up.  If the car started up I could drive it home if it didn't then I would leave the truck and take the cab home. 

So there I was after a long day at work walking in the darkness and I really didn't feel bad about it (another strength).  When I got to Walmart it was pretty empty.  Used the cell phone with the internet to get the number for the cab company...thank god for modern technology...eh.  Called the cab, paid for the coolant and made it back to the truck.

With a little help from the cab driver, I filled the radiator and bingo the truck started up.  I made it home safely about an hour later than I normally would have.  I was really too tired to even feel what was going on.  It was like a dream but still it was something that really made me realize my strengths and abilities that go unused day in and day out.

  Sometimes it takes a crisis to really realize what we are made of.  Are we the type of person that hides in the corner and cires or do we face the troubles head on like a ram.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment