Saturday, July 3, 2010

TROLLS

Look at them, troll mother said. Look at my so...Image via Wikipedia
Trolls are unhappy people. They are all around us and most of the time we don't have to deal with them But when we work with them that is a different story. There is nothing you can do to make a troll happy. Trolls have to have it their way. Trolls are so unhappy in life that all they live for is to make others unhappy too. The sad thing is Trolls don't know they are like this and they would never change even if they did.

I remember reading the story of the Three Billy Goats Gruff as a child. The story was that three Billy Goats were on a journey and they came across a bridge that was guarded but a troll. HERE'S THE STORY
The story introduces three male goats, sometimes identified in the story as youngster, father and grandfather, but more often described as brothers. There is no grass left for them to eat nearest to where they live, so they must cross a river to get to a "sæter" (a shieling) or hillside on the other side of a stream in order to eat and get fat. To do so, they must first cross a bridge, under which lives a fearsome troll who eats any who pass that way. The littlest billy goat is the first to cross and is immediately stopped by the troll who threatens to "gobble him up!" The little goat convinces him to wait for the bigger billy goat to come across because he is larger and more gratifying as a feast. The greedy troll agrees and lets the smallest goat cross. The middle goat sees that the youngest one has crossed and reaches the conclusion that the bridge must be safe after all, but is also stopped by the troll and given the same threat. The second billy goat is allowed to cross as well after he tells the troll to wait for the biggest billy goat because he will have the most meat. The third billy goat makes to cross the bridge, and is stopped by the hungry troll. When the troll gets up on the bridge however, the third billy goat is so big, that he easily throws the troll into the stream with his horns and crosses the bridge. From then on the bridge is safe, and all three goats are able to go to the rich fields around the summer farm in the hills. They all live happily ever after.

Life sure does have its share of trolls doesn't it. These are people in your life that create trouble for you. I had a issue with a lead the other day. He came to me and a another co worker and starting yelling at us to get to work. He was simply treating us like garbage. Not only was this a sign of disrespect but it was also a sign of lack of appreciation for our hard work.

The other Coworker left with her tail between her legs but I stood my ground. I felt like this big Billy Goat that had to put his head down and throw the troll off the bridge. I think something had come over me as I realized how much of my life I have simply put my head down and walked away with my tail between my legs. That many times I failed to stand up for myself just to keep the peace and often times I was the who felt they had done wrong. Not this time. Don't get me wrong I like my job but you know being treated with disrespect and like an animal was not int he job description and yes it's hard to find work right now, but really, do I want to work for a company that doesn't appreciate its workers. Maybe not.

A lifetime of making others happy can make a person feel insignificant. I had come to crossroads that day. Do I make myself happy or do I make the lead happy. That is the question isn't . Do we allow ourselves to be happy or do we simply give up our ideals, values, and what not to please others. Well my freind, I have been pleasing others all my life and I was feeling guilty for wanting to please me. I think have pleased other all my life I was not accustomed to being comfortable pleasing me and perhaps I can only be happy if I am pleasing others. That is something I have to break. Sure there are times when we want to please others but there are times when we really should please ourselves.

After that moment I felt upset and angry and it lasted for a few hours and it affected my work. Listen when there is a job that is stressful Trolls can make it worse. But for once in my life I was proud and happy with myself for not backing down and for not feeling that I was wrong. For I was not wrong. I was doing my job and if they have issues with it then a manager should come and talk to me not this flunky. Trust me no manager would talk to me that way if they did they might find themselves working in Alaska somewhere as the company doesn't tolerate harassment nor discrimination.

I am learning to stand up for myself and its feels scary and new. I'm not use to it. For most of my life all i have done is self sacrifice who I am, what I believe in just to make others happy. I had to do when I was a child with my parents, I did with my friends always sacrificing who I was and what I liked and wanted to make them happy. Not anymore I guess. I know perhaps this is not wise considering the state of the economy but there's all this talk of Saturn in Libra dealing with find balance and fairness in all types of relationships even business relationships. I might lose it all. I might lose my job, my house, my what ever but maybe in the end I will find me and starting living a different kind of life. A good one where I get to please me.



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment